Skip to main content

PDP asks Court to disqualify Obaseki over qualification

Godwin Obaseki
The PDP has asked a Benin High Court to disqualify the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Mr. Godwin Obaseki from participation in this weekend governorship election for allegedly providing false claims and information on oath about his educational qualification to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

The APC in a sharp riposte vowed not to dignify the PDP on the issue saying it would meet the PDP in court.

The party, in particular, is asking the court for a declaration that Obaseki’s statement that he graduated from the University of Ibadan with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Classical Studies in 1976, made under oath in INEC form CF001 at Part B, paragraph C dated 11 July 2016, is false.

The PDP is also asking for a declaration disqualifying Obaseki from contesting Saturday’s Edo State governorship election on the grounds that he submitted false information on oath to the INEC in Form CF001.

Edo State PDP chairman, Chief Dan Orbih, at a press conference in Benin, said the move became necessary as the party was certain beyond doubt that the academic qualifications attested to by Obaseki in an affidavit he swore to in June 2016, were false.
He added that Obaseki refused to clear the air by displaying the original of his certificates after he claimed they had been found in the United States, calling on voters in the state not to waste their votes on the Obaseki because the APC has no candidate in the election. The defendants in the suit No. FHC/B/CO/120/16 dated 1st September 2016 and filed by Chief Joseph Aghimien, SAN, and Professor Edoba Omoregie, are Mr. Godwin Obaseki and the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.

Orbih added that apart from misleading the INEC with false information, the fact that Obaseki failed to declare if he was a member of any secret society disqualifies him from contesting for the office of governor of Edo State.

In all, the PDP chairman said Obaseki has failed to fulfil the requirements of the constitution which in Section 182 (I) h specifies the qualifications a person must have to contest the governorship of a state, hence the call that the court should disqualify him from contesting the weekend’s election Responding on behalf of Obaseki, his campaign manager, Mr. Osarodion Ogie said: “We will not dignify PDP with any reply.

PDP is heading towards extinction in Edo and on this matter we will meet them in court,” he affirmed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chelsea preparing world-record Bonucci bid

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovic has told manager Antonio Conte that a January move for Juventus defender Leonardo Bonucci could be on the cards. According to reports from the Telegraph, the Russian businessman is prepared to bankroll a number of new signings in the New Year as the Blues look to retain the Premier League trophy. Bonucci would command a world-record fee for a defender, expected to be in the region of £50 million, should he move to Stamford Bridge.

Turkey bomb victims ‘mostly children’surviving

Most of the victims of the bombing of a Kurdish wedding party in the Turkish city of Gaziantep on Saturday were children, media reports have said. Twenty-nine victims were under the age of 18, reports said, with one official saying 22 were under the age of 14. The death toll rose to 54 yesterday. The suicide bomber himself was a child aged between 12 and 14, President Recep Tayyip One woman lost four children in the attack, Emine Arhan, said yesterday: “If it wasn’t for my only surviving child, I would have killed myself.” Another victim was a nine-year-old girl who had stayed on at the party to see the bride after her parents had left, according to reports. A disproportionately large number of women and children were killed in the attack because it targeted henna night, a part of the celebration attended mainly by women and children. Turkish officials said the type of bomb used, which contained scraps of metal, was similar to those used in previous attacks on pro-Kurdish gatherings. ...

Conte: Chelsea must learn to kill matches

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte says his side must learn to kill off matches quicker following their 3-2 League Cup win over Bristol Rovers. Michy Batshuayi scored two goals either side of a Victor Moses strike at Stamford Bridge to send the home side into the third round, but they were given a fright when the visitors twice halved a two-goal deficit through Peter Hartley and an Ellis Harrison penalty. The victory is Conte's third in competitive matches as Chelsea boss, following 2-1 wins over West Ham and Watford in the Premier League - both of which came about thanks to late goals from Diego Costa. And the former Italy boss wants his players to become more ruthless in their approach in order to prevent similarly nervy encounters in future. "These games are very tough," he told BBC Radio London Sport. "When you dominate the game, you must kill the game. In this case, we didn't do this. "It's a pity because when you're playing very well, creating a lot...